Carbon Monoxide Detectors are Now Mandatory in all Ontario Homes
October 16, 2014 -- As of October 15, 2014, carbon monoxide detectors are now mandatory in all Ontario homes.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous, odorless gas which is produced as a byproduct of combustion when common fuel-burning appliances and equipment that use natural gas, oil, wood, propane and kerosene don’t get enough air to burn up completely. According to the Technical Standards & Safety Authority, most Ontario households have between 4-6 carbon monoxide producing appliances such as a furnace, portable generator and gas fireplace.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. Carbon monoxide can build up, especially in confined spaces, and can lead to toxic effects.
To protect Ontarians from carbon monoxide poisoning, the province now requires carbon monoxide detectors near all sleeping areas in residential homes; and in service rooms (such as boiler rooms and garbage rooms), and next to sleeping areas in multi-residential units.
The Technical Standards & Safety Authority has provided these safety tips:
For more information on carbon monoxide and safety tips, please visithttp://www.cosafety.ca/ and http://news.ontario.ca/mcscs/en/2014/10/keeping-ontarians-safe-from-carbon-monoxide.html